Last weekend

Last weekend was a good time, I took my daughter to the renaissance festival. Normally when I go to faire, I hang out with my friends at the White Heart or the Dragon inn. However since I had my daughter with me, I did not want to do that since she would have been bored out of her skull, and besides it would not have been fair to her. So while I did pop in to the taverns from time to time to visit with friends, most of my time was spent seeing what faire had to offer. We went to shows, I played games with my daughter, we even took in the joust. All in all I have not had this much fun at faire in years.

I had a geek proud poppa moment at faire. The thing Morgan was most excited for at faire was the joust. All of the way there and back she could not stop talking about it. Furthermore she has said that she wants to become a knight, not a princess, a knight. She wants to wear plate mail, joust, and fight with a sword and shield. After I explained to her what it was, Morgan said that she wants to become a heavy fighter in the SCA. My wife and I have talked to some SCAdian friends of ours who fight, and they said that they would gladly make Morgan their squire when she is old enough. A medieval history geek is born, and I couldn’t be prouder.

One thing annoyed me last weekend, and it always annoys me. It is those parents, and if you have gone to faire you’ve seen them, who bring their kids to faire and force them to stay in the bars. It’s not fair to those kids, there is nothing for them to do while mommy and daddy drink and socialize with their friends. I have seen this scenario played out again and again: parents force their kids to stay at the bar, the kids get bored and act up, then mommy or daddy gets mad at the kids for acting up, because they are bored. If you go to faire with your kids, you go to faire for your kids. There is plenty for them to do to keep them entertained while at faire, it just means you have to leave the bar for a while. Guess what, your friends will still be there when you get back from the show, or where ever you took your kids around faire . Seriously, if all you are going to do at faire is hang out at the bars, then find a sitter for your kids, you both will be happier for it.

Comments

Mooms said…
Lovely post. Remember when we would all go to Renfair? The joust, the plays, all of it? Such a lot of fun . . .

Popular posts from this blog

Well it was successfull